On October 1st, 2020, Tanya Goodall Smith from WorkStory Photography joined Josh to talk ‘Elevating Your Brand Image with Storytelling Photos that Sell’. You can watch the full Business Brew below. Here are some of the highlights from that conversation.
Marketing and brand thoughts:
- A good brand goes beyond the logo; it’s a feeling you get when you experience a brand.
- Without even seeing a logo in an ad or marketing materials, you should be able to identify a brand based on the element alone.
- Plan your social media thoughts ahead of time especially if you’re going to use a picture or video.
Working on a budget:
- Controlling your budget starts with producing your own content whether that’s pictures, video, social media posts, blogs, or newsletters.
- When it comes to taking your own pictures here are some tips:
- Create more light – bring in a light, go by a window, go outside – diffused light is best.
- Keep in mind that what is closest to the camera will look bigger.
- If you’re taking a picture of yourself, use a tripod.
Do headshots matter?
Should they be professionally taken?
Yes! It shows you care enough and you’re successful enough to afford a good headshot.
What are Tanya’s top business tips she’s learned over the years?
- You have to charge enough to stay in business. If you’re good at what you do, people will pay for it.
- Building a good reputation for doing good work can take time but it’s worth it.
- You’re the only one responsible for your business, make decisions that support that.
- Get a coach or a mentor!
When planning for a photo or video shoot:
- Take some time to brainstorm ideas.
- Plan ahead; consider all the shots you’ll need and how you’ll use them.
- You can’t plan too much for the day of the shoot.
- Authentic pictures are key! Only edit out the items that are distracting.
- Remember, these photos are to help you grow your business.
- Taking pictures (and showcasing them) of the team is valuable for your customers. It helps the customer know who’s providing the services or who’s building the products.
Thank you, Tanya, for taking time out of your day to join us!
The Business Brew Podcast – Leading with Emotional Intelligence Part II – The Business Brew Podcast
Toward the end of 2020, Whitworth Professor David Sloan joined Business Brew to talk about Leading with Emotional Intelligence. The information David presented was so impactful, Business Brew fans asked for David to come back and continue the conversation. So, on January 7th, 2021, David returned to Business Brew to continue the conversation about Emotional Intelligence.
- The Business Brew Podcast – Leading with Emotional Intelligence Part II
- The Business Brew Podcast – The Benefits of Being a Purpose-driven Business
- The Business Brew Podcast – Leading with Emotional Intelligence Part I
- The Business Brew Podcast – Elevating Your Brand Image with Storytelling Photos that Sell
- The Business Brew Podcast – Small Business Tips Learned During a Pandemic